Note 1: (barouche-landau)
The distinguishing characteristics of barouches are that they are four-wheeled carriages with collapseable tops. This makes a barouche something of a sports car among carriages. The collapseable top makes it perfect for exploring the countryside in the heat of summer. This picture is of a much later barouche, circa 1870:
Note 2: (try Bath)
The spring waters of Bath had long been concidered curative, from Roman times onward. The medicinal quality of the waters were thought to cure many ailments--for example, in Persuasion Admiral Croft came to take the waters to cure his gout, and Mrs. Smith also hoped the waters would help her with her more debilitating problems. During the Regency period the waters were taken by drinking them, not by soaking in the water. The Pump Room was one place where people would congregate both to take the water and to socialise.
From the Encyclopeadia Britannica Online:
Bath, district and city, county of Avon, England. Bath lies along the River Avon in a natural amphitheatre of steep hills. Built of local limestone, it is one of the most elegant and architecturally distinguished of British cities. Its 16th-century abbey church of St. Peter and St. Paul is late Perpendicular Gothic and is noted for its windows, but it is the wealth of classical Georgian buildings mounting the steep valley sides that gives Bath its distinction.
The hot mineral springs (120º F [49º C]) on the site attracted the Romans, who founded Bath as Aquae Sulis, dedicated to the deity Sul (Minerva). The Saxons built an abbey on the site at which Edgar, first king of all England, was crowned (ad 973). The Normans subsequently rebuilt the church between 1088 and 1122, transferring there the diocese they had founded at Wells. The bishop's throne returned to Wells in 1206, and there was a long rivalry between the canons of Wells and the monks of Bath, of which the bishop was titular abbot. The diocese is still styled Bath and Wells.
Incorporated by charter in 1189, medieval Bath shared in the west-of-England wool trade and later in the cloth trade, but the baths, although still used by royalty, were poorly maintained. When the Roman bath, lined with lead from the nearby Mendip Hills, was rediscovered in 1755, Bath had already revived as a spa. In its heyday as a fashionable resort--presided over by the social figure Richard "Beau" Nash, one of the greatest English dandies--the Elizabethan town was rebuilt and extended in Palladian style by the architects John Wood the Elder and Younger and their patron, Ralph Allen, who provided the stone from his local quarries and built the mansion of Prior Park (1735-43) outside the city. In 1769-74 Robert Adam built Pulteney Bridge to connect Bath with the new suburb of Bathwick across the River Avon.
As the leading centre of English high society outside London in the 18th and early 19th centuries, the city is rich in literary associations. The life of the time is graphically depicted in the novels of Tobias Smollett and in the plays of Richard Brinsley Sheridan. Jane Austen's novels Northanger Abbey and Persuasion (both 1817/18) portray with delicate satire and keen perception the fashionable life of Bath about 1800.
In 1942 the Assembly Rooms of 1771 were destroyed in an air raid from which the whole city suffered severely, but extensive reconstruction, as well as renovation, has since been carried out. The Assembly Rooms, reopened in 1963, now contain a comprehensive 18th- and 19th-century costume collection.